University of Hawaii General Surgery Residency Program

Living in Hawaii, Information and Hyperlinks

An excellent source of detailed information regarding your relocation to Hawaii, where to live and the school system is available at: For a listing of state services, visit
Click this hyperlink to view the Oahu Data Book with information about land ownership, population, employment and the visitor industry or the Newcomers Guide with everything you need to know to about moving to Oahu; from finding a house, starting a business, and even what to do on the island for entertainment.

Child Care Links

Patch Hawaii (People Attentive To Children)
Kama'aina Kids
Kama'aina Kids Preschools. For children 2-5 years old.


The State Department of Education operates public schools from kindergarten through high school, including technical and special training facilities. As a special service, a number of community schools for adults and schools designed for mentally and physically challenged children are also available.
Inquiries about Hawaii public schools (K-12) should be directed to:
Department of Education, State of Hawaii
P.O. Box 2360
Honolulu, HI 96804
Phone: (808) 586-3232
Inquires about private schools should be directed to:
Hawaii Association of Independent Schools
1585 Kapiolani Blvd., Suite 1212
Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone: (808) 973-1540
The following documents are required when you register your child for school:
A birth certificate
A certificate of release and proficiency from the last school attended
Proof of medical examination within 12 months prior to school enrollment
Proof of immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, measles, mumps and rubella, a negative tuberculin test or x-ray.

Motor Vehicles and Driver's Licensing

All American manufactured cars and most foreign-made automobiles and repair parts are available in Hawaii. Persons 18 years of age and above, with a valid driver’s license from other states or a province of Canada, may drive in Hawaii until their license expires or is otherwise declared invalid.
For specific details on driver licensing, write to the:
Honolulu Police Department
Drivers License Division
1199 Dillingham Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96817
Phone: (808) 532-7730

Automobile Shipping

To inquire about the cost of shipping your automobile to Hawaii, contact:
Matson Navigation Company (800) 462-8766
Horizon Lines  (877) 678-7477

Transportation (THE BUS)

For those who do not own a vehicle, Oahu’s excellent bus system offers more than 70 routes and 4,000 bus stops. The fees are $2.50 for adults and $1.25 for youth (ages 6-17). For inquiries, phone:
Bus Schedules/Information (800) 848-5555
Bus Passes (800) 848-4444

Temporary Accommodations

The Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau publishes "Connections" an accommodation guide which lists hotels and alternative accommodations. To request a copy, call (808) 923-1811. To view the website, go to:

Long Term Accommodations

Hawaii Real Estate Central provides on-line access to rental properties and other housing information.
Hawaii’s major daily newspaper, the Star Advertiser, also has classified ads. Star Advertiser link is

Miscellaneous Links

The University of Hawaii at Manoa
Animal Quarantine Information
Copyright 2015 - Hawaii Residency Programs
Log In / Log Out - Tutorials - Image Resizer
site by: Hawaii Web Design Studio