How To Apply
The University of Hawai'i Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). All applications will only be accepted through ERAS:
- Career interest in clinical practice, teaching and/or research in Geriatric Medicine.
- Successful completion of a U.S. residency program and board eligibility or board certification in either Internal Medicine or Family Medicine in the U.S.
- Successful completion of USMLE Steps I, II and III within a seven year period.
- A permanent Hawaii medical license must be obtained prior to beginning the fellowship.
** Please note that we will only sponsor a J-1 VISA.
The following documents must be included in your ERAS application to be considered for an interview:
- ERAS common application
- Personal statement describing your interest and experience in Geriatric Medicine.
- Curriculum vitae- be sure to account for any gaps in training or practice.
- 3-4 letters of recommendation. A letter from a geriatrician is desirable. One letter must be from the U.S. Internal Medicine or Family Medicine Residency Program Director and document board eligibility or board certification in either Internal Medicine or Family Medicine in the U.S.
- Official Medical School Diploma (in English or an official translation)
- USMLE Steps 1,2,and 3 Transcripts. All 3 steps must be completed within 7 years.
Selection and Interview Process AY 2016-2017
We will only consider candidates with complete applications.
- Applicants are advised to apply through ERAS as early as possible as our program usually fills all positions. Deadline for submission of all application materials is October 15, 2015. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all documents are submitted.
- Selection committee members will select candidates on the basis of academic qualifications, previous performance, letters of recommendation, communication skills, and personal qualities.
- Invitations to interview are sent by email to the applicant's email address as indicated on the ERAS application
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many Fellowship positions do you offer?
The University of Hawaii Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program has a total of 11 funded fellowship positions (includes first and second year positions).
2. Should I take USMLE Step 3?
We require that you should have completed all steps of the USMLE within a 7-year period.
3. With my attached information do I meet the University of Hawaii's Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program's acceptance criteria?
Applications are only accepted through ERAS. We cannot disclose specific acceptance criteria. Each applicant's file is reviewed by one of our Selection Committee members, all documents are taken into consideration and decisions are contingent upon agreement in the committee.
4. Do you accept International Medical Graduates (IMG)?
Yes! We value and encourage diversity in our program.
5. Do you have a Residency completion year cut off requirement?
No, we do not have a cut off requirement. However, your recent clinical training and employment experiences will be evaluated carefully. We do not specifically exclude applicants based on residency completion year as we carefully consider the entire application and encourage interested candidates to submit applications via ERAS.
6. Do you require clinical experience in the United States? If so, how recent should this be?
Applicants are required to have completed either Internal Medicine or Family Medicine residency training in the U.S., and be either board certified or board eligible for Internal Medicine or Family Medicine in the U.S.