Director of Research for the Department of Geriatric Medicine:
Bradley J. Willcox, MD
Epidemiological Research Studies: There are several large epidemiological studies in Hawaii, in which faculty members from the department have key roles. Several faculty are internationally renowned investigators, and some of the large epidemiological studies associated with the department are:
- The Honolulu Heart Program, a longitudiÂnal cohort study of CVD in Japanese-American men;
- The Honolulu-Asia Aging Study of aging and dementia, including a large autopsy study;
- Studies on Parkinsonâ€™s Disease and Parkinsonism;
- The Honolulu-Asia Aging Study of Sleep Apnea;
- The Hawaii Family Diabetes Study of genetics of diabetes;
- The Honolulu Heart Program Lifespan Study of genetics of longevity and healthy aging;
- The Hawaii Center for the Women's Health Initiative, a multi-center study of post-menopausal women;
- The Hawaii Center for the Women's Health Initiative Memory Study, an ancillary study of WHI;
- Sapphire Family Blood Pressure Program, a multi-center study of genetic determinants of hypertension;
- Pacific Genetic Epidemiological Study on Aging (PacGen), a study of genetics of healthy aging.
Affiliated with these studies are many experienced researchers who are available for collaboration with the fellows in the design and implementation of their research projects. Many fellows have had the opportunity to perform secondary data analysis from the Honolulu Heart Program, Honolulu-Asia Aging Study and associated studies.