Hawaii Residency Programs



Employment Eligibility
The Immigration Reform and Control Act (“IRCA”) makes it unlawful for employers to knowingly hire or continue to employ any person who is not authorized to work in the United States and imposes a legal duty on every employer to examine and verify documents which establish the employment eligibility of all new employees. In order to comply with IRCA, the employer and the employee must jointly complete the Form I-9 at the time of initial employment.

Employment Eligibility Verification
The employee must attest, under penalty of perjury, that;
  • s/he is a citizen of the United States, or
  • s/he is a non-citizen national of the United States, or
  • s/he is lawful permanent resident of the United States, or
  • s/he is an alien authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (“DHS”) to work in the United States, and
  • the documents presented as evidence of identity and employment authorization for purposes of completing the Form I-9 are genuine and relate to that employee.

Anyone submitting false documentation shall be immediately dismissed from the program. An employee must inform the Program Administrator of any changes in the employee’s work authorization status. Any questions regarding the required documentation should be directed to the program.

Graduates of Foreign Medical Schools and/or Foreign- Medical Graduates and Visa Status
HRP is a not-for-profit educational institution committed to providing the opportunity for post-graduate education to qualified medical school graduates accepted into one of the residency training programs listed on this website.

A graduate of a medical school outside the United States, whether foreign-born or American-born, is required to hold the standard Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (“ECFMG”) certification.

As indicated in the Employment Eligibility section, all persons seeking employment with HRP must show that they are authorized to work in the United States. For purposes of this section, a foreign medical graduate (“FMG”) refers to a medical school graduate who is not a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or a lawful permanent resident of the United States. HRP will assist an FMG accepted into an HRP residency program to apply for a nonimmigrant J-1 visa if the FMG is not otherwise authorized to work in the United States. The Immigration and Nationality Act permits an FMG with a J-1 visa to remain in the United States long enough to complete training in a specialty or for seven years, whichever is shorter; a graduate may change his/her designation of specialty once during that period. HRP will only sponsor a J-1 Visa.

For information about the required examinations and procedures for obtaining an ECFMG certificate, contact ECFMG, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2685. The telephone number for the ECFMG is (215) 386-5900. http://www.ecfmg.org/

J-1 Visa Sponsorship
Residents requesting J-1 visa sponsorship must arrive in Hawaii no less than thirty (30) days prior to the start of employment. This ensures required paperwork and processing are completed by employment start date.

Home  -   NI Login  -   ELM Login  -   ACGME Login  -   Contact
Copyright 2015 - Hawaii Residency Programs
Log In / Log Out - Tutorials - Image Resizer
site by: Hawaii Web Design Studio