University of Hawaii Pediatric Residency Program
ERAS
Click Above To Apply
 
Pediatric Residency Curriculum 2017-2018

 Pediatric Level One Year

During the PGY-1 of pediatric training, emphasis is placed on a foundation of general pediatric medicine and the diagnosis and management of patients admitted to the hospital. Roughly 70% of the patients are supervised by a University of Hawaii Hospitalist. The other 30% are supervised by community attending physicians. Residents are also introduced to the management of common adolescent, behavioral-developmental and general pediatric problems encountered in the outpatient setting. PGY-1 residents are provided with numerous patient care situations under the supervision of upper level residents and faculty and they are responsible for the day-to-day management and order writing on all patients.

Pediatric Level Two Year

The PGY-2 of pediatric training expands diagnosis and patient management skills through subspecialty rotations, supervisory experience and directing care on the general inpatient wards, and in the NICU. Residents also provide direct patient care in the pediatric emergency medicine and PICU. Residents also begin to see more acute care patients in the outpatient setting. During calls nights on the wards, upper level residents answer calls for the clinic patients as well.

Pediatric Level Three Year

The PGY-3 of pediatric training provides an opportunity for residents to refine their skills in diagnosis and patient management, and also emphasizes the supervision and teaching of PGY-2 residents. During the Shriners rotation, PGY-3s act as the primary pediatrician. Orthopedic and rehabilitation services are provided to children throughout the Pacific Basin. PGY-3 pediatric residents also serve as supervisors for PGY-1 and newborn nursery patients.

Kristine Layugan MD gives Landen  Kristine Layugan, M.D. gives Landen, "Miracle Child", his final physical exam prior to his discharge from the PICU.

Copyright 2015 - Hawaii Residency Programs
Log In / Log Out - Tutorials - Image Resizer
site by: Hawaii Web Design Studio