The University of Hawai'i Transitional Residency Program (UHTRP) participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). UHTRP is accepting applications only through ERAS, and will not consider applications or application attachments sent separately.
Residents are selected solely through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
Applicants must meet the ACGME Institutional Requirements, section III.A. Eligibility and Selection of Residents requirements. (for more information visit www.acgme.org)
Please note the following UHTRP requirements which must be included in your ERAS application:
- You must have a valid ECFMG certificate before we will consider your application, which means that you have to pass USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, CS, have graduated from medical school, and all requirements are validated by ECFMG.
- For Non-US citizen IMGâ€™s: We sponsor the J-1 visa only.
- We require USMLE scores.
- We donâ€™t release score requirements as the Program Director determines these; however we do hope that our applicants pass their examinations on their first attempt.
- You must have recent clinical experience in the US/Canadian medical system, and provide 2 letters of recommendation from 2 different US/Canadian physicians familiar with your recent clinical abilities (not research abilities).
- In your personal statement, please indicate your future specialty and specific reasons why you are interested in UHTRP.
- You must apply to the NRMP match.
We highly recommend that you submit your ERAS application as soon as possible due to the high volume of applications we receive and the limited interview slots available. Applications are considered until our entire interview slots are filled; however they will NOT be accepted after December 1st. Interviews are by invitation only. Applicants invited for an interview will be notified by e-mail. Only applicants who come for an interview will be considered for the NRMP ranking. Interviews are conducted from November through January.